CBD oil is globally recognized for its therapeutic and soothing abilities. In humans, this magical oil is reported to help reduce pain, promote calmness, help with anxiety, and even lower seizure activity.
If people can use CBD oil products for anxiety, insomnia, and a bunch of other ailments – can’t it be the same for our feline friends? But can you give cats CBD oil?
This post aims to reveal just that and more, so stick around to find out if you can add CBD to your cat’s health regimen.
- Can I Give My Cat CBD Oil?
- Is CBD Oil for Kittens Okay?
- Can You Give a Cat CBD While It’s Sick?
- Is CBD Oil for Cats With Anxiety a Good Idea?
- Is CBD Oil for Cats Spraying a Good Idea?
- Is CBD for Older Cats a Good Idea?
- Related Questions | Can Cats Have CBD?
- Can You Give CBD Oil to Cats? | Wrapped Up
Can I Give My Cat CBD Oil?
Scientific research on cannabidiol (CBD) use for cats is limited. However, there’s a growing interest in the potential benefits of managing various health and behavioural issues in cats and other pets.
That said, CBD oil is generally safe for your furry friend when given in appropriate dosages. Let’s have a closer look:
Benefits of CBD Oil for Cats
- Reduced pain and inflammation: CBD is believed to have anti-inflammatory properties that can aid with injuries, arthritis, and age-related issues.
- Induced sleep and calmness: Rest assured that your cat’s sleeping pattern may improve thanks to the relaxing effects of CBD.
- Reduces anxiety and stress: Like humans, cats can experience anxiety daily, so the calming effect of CBD can help alleviate stress.
- Overall wellness: Since CBD supports how a cat’s endocannabinoid system functions, it may help them maintain homeostasis (balance) across various bodily systems.
Drawbacks of CBD Oil for Cats
- Sedation and drowsiness: Your furry companion enjoys catching some z’s. But, if you notice prolonged periods of sleep or them struggling to wake up, it may be a sign of too much CBD.
- Gastrointestinal upset: This includes nausea, vomiting, and diarrhoea. Any sign of gastrointestinal issues may be caused by a bad reaction to CBD.
- Dry mouth: CBD can cause cats to suffer from chronic dry mouth as it decreases saliva production.
Note: If you notice any potential side effects of CBD oil, stop dosages immediately and contact your vet.
The Right Dosage for Your Cat
If your cat has never ingested CBD oil, you can start with 3mg of CBD per 4.5 kg (10 lbs) of body weight per day. You can administer CBD oil to your cat once, twice, or as needed in a day, depending on its weight and requirements. And do not worry, cats can’t “overdose” on CBD.
If you see that the above dosage is not affecting your cat as you’d hoped, you might have to increase the dosage amount. You can do this by increasing the dosage by half and repeating the three-day observation process.
Is CBD Oil for Kittens Okay?
Newborn kittens are still developing before four months, so introducing any new substance is not recommended. However, after this period, you can start giving your hyper kitten CBD oil.
Can You Give a Cat CBD While It’s Sick?
Yes. As mentioned before, CBD interacts positively with a cat’s endocannabinoid system, which supports homeostasis, stress, and inflammation. This can help your kitty get better sooner and possibly make them feel less pain.
Is CBD Oil for Cats With Anxiety a Good Idea?
Cats with anxiety will likely benefit the most from taking CBD oil. Anxiety causes emotional distress in cats and can lead to bigger health problems, such as urinary tract issues (cystitis in cats). With the help of CBD oil and other therapeutic methods, you may be able to help your kitten manage their anxiety.
Is CBD Oil for Cats Spraying a Good Idea?
A cat’s way of telling you and other animals to stay out of their territory is by spraying or urine marking all over the show. This can be annoying and smelly in your home.
Thanks to CBD oil’s anxiety and stress-reducing effects, your cat may be less prone to inappropriate urination, including spraying.
Is CBD for Older Cats a Good Idea?
Certainly, senior cats can also benefit from CBD oil. It can help alleviate conditions, reduce pain and inflammation, and promote activity.
Related Questions | Can Cats Have CBD?
Here are some related questions about CBD oil for cats.
Can You Give THC Oil to Cats?
No. Do not attempt to give your pet cat THC oil because it causes toxicity in their bodies. THC is the main psychoactive chemical in marijuana, while CBD is not.
Where to Buy CBD Oil for Cats?
CBD oil is available all over South Africa in places like Dischem and Clicks, or you can purchase it online from suppliers that produce their own types.
Ensure you are buying from a reputable brand by researching and reading reviews. Cannabuddy’s Broad-Spectrum CBD Oil for pets is an excellent example of what to go for.
Can You Give CBD Oil to Cats? | Wrapped Up
To wrap things up, can you give CBD to cats? You certainly can! It’s safe for felines and may benefit their health and well-being significantly. All you need to do is pay extra attention to the dosage, brand of CBD oil, and how your pet kitty reacts.
The only thing left to ask yourself is where to buy the best CBD oil for pets in South Africa.